- How to create a new Share Link
- How to edit or add files to an existing Share Link
- How to manage Share Links
- How to set Share Link defaults
- Video: How to password protect Shared Links in Canto
To share files with external users without using email, use a Share Link.
Requirement: You need to be signed in using an administrator's account in order to manage share links and to change the default expiration date.
- A shared link (of selected assets) is static and will not update when changing the status of any of the shared assets. It is not possible to remove individual assets from a shared link after the fact.
- The only changes which do affect a shared link are deleting assets from Canto or changes which are made to a shared file's version.
- Share links of folders and albums are dynamic. Files must be set to approved (status) to be visible.
- Be aware that recipients of a shared link can not see content that has been moved into a restricted folder (they need access to the restricted folder).
- However, power-user can share pending and even restricted assets if they have been selected individually or in bulk (this does not work for albums/folders).
- In the settings (Configuration Options > Default Settings > More Options) you can specify whether files with the status Pending should also be displayed in collection links. This applies only to links shared by admins/contributors.
How to create a new Share Link
- You can access the share window by hovering over a file and clicking the Share button.
- The link option appears in the share window as the chain link icon.
- Select New Link. You can also edit an existing Share Link by selecting Existing Link. See below for more instructions on how to edit an Existing Link.
- You'll be asked to provide a Name and Expiration Date.
Additionally, you can enter more details when creating a link.
Note: When Notify Me when Link is Accessed is active you will only get a notification once per user who opened your shared link.
Note: It's mandatory to enter a name for the Share Link. This will help you to better identify your links on the Share Links Settings page.
- Click Create Link when finished.
You will then be given a link that can be shared with outside collaborators. Click Copy to clipboard to copy the link for pasting.
How to edit or add files to an existing Share Link
- Follow the steps above till step 3 and select Existing Link, it will navigate to a new window.
- Select or preview the desired existing share link.
- Once you select the desired share link, you can modify the settings before adding the files. Select Add Files when you are done.
Note: You can only Add Files to a Share Link if the Share Link was not used to share an Album. If you shared an Album, just add files to this Album to see them in the Share Link.
How to manage Share Links
A list of all the links you have created will be recorded and can be managed later by navigating to the Settings > Links & Connections > Share Links.
You can toggle the different columns on/off.
You can create a share link without populating content.
- Select the New Share Link Button
- Select the appropriate settings
- The Share Link will now be visible in Share Links page or when you add assets to an existing link
How to set Share Link defaults
To prevent consumers from modifying the expiration date, a default expiration date for assets can be set within Settings > Configuration Options > Defaults > Other Options.
- Scroll to the Email Links section.
- Check the Set Expiration Date box if you would like to enable this feature.
- Add the value for the Default Expiration Date.
- From here you can also set options for your Share Links such as display metadata, download settings, and password protection.