- How to create Custom Fields
- How to adjust Custom Fields
- Display Order
- Metdata Mapping
- Video: How to create Custom Fields and allow users to filter on them
You need to be signed in using an administrator's account in order to add, edit or delete Custom Fields.
Consumer can only read custom field values but not change them.
Alternatively, you can activate Manage custom fields under the privileges settings.
Custom fields help you add more metadata to your assets for even more efficient and specific categorization of your content. As a result, filtering and searching your files becomes more targetable and customizable to meet the needs of your team and your customers. You can also create new sections that will be listed on the information pages of your files. Custom fields can be added, rearranged, or removed from each section.
There is no limit to how many custom fields you can create.
User Menu > Settings > Configuration Options > Custom Fields
How to create Custom Fields
- When creating a new custom field, simply enter the desired name and a description.
- For a custom field's Section you can choose from your existing sections (or learn below how to create new ones) this will determine where it will be displayed on the information page.
- Please refer to the sub section Languages to learn what settings can be achieved with Default Language and the button next to Add.
- Choose a Field Type.
We currently offer the following Field Types:
- Text: Free-form field for text
- Number: Field for numbers (you can only enter single values)
- Date: Date options with a calendar picker
- Single Choice: Display a single option (value) from a list of values
For this type of field, you must also define the list of choices.
- Multiple Choice: Display multiple options (values) from a list of values
For this type of field, you must also define the list of choices.
- URL: Enter a valid website address
- Label: Choose a color
- Rating: Select a rating based on 1 through 5 stars
- Click on Add to create your new custom field. The newly created entry will be displayed in the table below.
Single-choice and multiple-choice fields
- For single-choice, you can choose a Style. Either your options are displayed in a Dropdown list or as Radio Buttons. Furthermore, when working with multiple-choice custom fields, you can determine the layout of your values. For instance, if you are having a lot of values, three columns might be better suited to present them than just one.
- For multiple-choice, you will have the option to have choices presented as a Dropdown list or as Checkboxes.
Note: If you change the spelling or the name of such an entry (e.g. Tree -> Cherry Tree), the entry "Tree" will remain assigned to the already adjusted assets.
When creating a Custom Field you can set the default language for the Custom Field. If you do not set a language, it will default to what is set for each individual user profile preference.
See here on how a user can change their language preference.
How to add translations for Custom Fields
How to create a translation for a new or existing custom field:
- Click on the EN-symbol.
- A window for entering translations for the field name, description, and field-options (if applicable) gets displayed.
- Select the target language and enter the translations.
- You can add translations for multiple languages.
- Once you are all set, click Save.
How to adjust Custom Fields
Your custom fields are displayed in a table format at the bottom of the page. Here you can see their assigned values as well as changing each individual information (pen-icon) or deleting the entire entry by clicking the trash-icon. You can confirm (check-icon) or discard (X-icon) your changes at any point.
Note: The Field Type cannot be adjusted. However, the options within a Multiple Choice field can be adjusted.
How to adjust your Custom Fields order
You can click on the tables header rows in order to change the order to your preference.
Hit Save Order to confirm your choice.
How to export your Custom Fields
By clicking Export as CSV file in the upper right corner of your screen you can save your custom fields library externally.
By default, custom fields are displayed on the Information Page in the Custom Fields section. However, you can also define your own sections, to structure a large number of fields more clearly, or to bundle fields thematically
You might, for instance, have one section with custom fields relevant to your sales team and one section with marketing-related custom fields.
How to define new Sections
For a better user experience, you may want to collapse some of your sections by default. This can be achieved by activating or deactivating the Expand Section checkbox.
- Select the Sections tab under Custom Fields.
- Enter the name of the section and a description.
- Click Add to complete the creation of the new section.
How to adjust your Sections
Your sections are displayed in a table format at the bottom of the page. Here you can see their assigned values as well as changing each individual information (pen-icon) or deleting the entire entry by clicking the trash-icon. You can accept (check-icon) the changes you made or discard (X-icon) them.
Here you can adjust the order in which your custom fields are displayed in their assigned sections. You can also add already existing custom fields.
How to adjust the Display Order
- Select one of your sections from the list. On the right side, already added custom fields are displayed.
- These can be arranged freely. To do this, select a field and drag it to the desired position.
- To remove a field click the trash-icon.
Note: If you removed a custom field within this function, they can be added again at any time.
How to add existing Custom Fields to your Sections
- With a section selected you get the option to Add Custom Fields to that section.
- In order to add already created fields select the desired fields from the list.
- Then confirm your choice with Add.
The newly added items can now also be restructured or removed.
How to display Custom Fields within the Preview Page and Information Page
You can specify whether and how custom fields and sections are displayed on the preview and information pages.
- Learn how to configure the layout of the preview page
- Learn how to configure the layout of the information page
For more information on Custom Configurations see the following link here.
The Metadata Mapping function in Canto allows you to assign the mapping of IPTC/XMP/EXIF metadata information from an external file to your custom fields.
How to allocate external Metadata to your Custom Fields
- Type in the metadata field name of your external IPTC/XMP/EXIF file on the left.
- Add the name of the custom field on the right.
By typing the name or click into the right field to see your custom fields.
- Select the one you want to map.
- Click Add to confirm.
How to adjust Metadata Mapping
Your mapped items are displayed in the table. Here you can edit (pen-icon) or delete them with the trash-icon.
Video: How to create Custom Fields and allow users to filter on them
This short video showcases the use of custom fields in Canto.